Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sample Making

Fabrics from the Studio Stash collection by Jennifer Sampou for Robert Kaufman

I'm working today on making blocks for the McCall's Quick Quilts sampler project. That's a little sneak peek above. Every time I make samples for photography I think of my Mom, who worked for 50 years in sewing factories, making samples of fine ladies' clothing. The sample maker was near the top of the food chain in a sewing factory, at least back in the day. She needed to be extremely knowledgeable, not just about fashion and sewing, but also about production methods and capabilities. Mom was great at it! To this day, there's nothing she can't sew, though she specializes in hand quilting these days. After so many years at a factory sewing machine, she much prefers hand work. Anyway, I'm proud to be a second-generation sample maker, in a slightly different field, and I always try to do my best to have great step-outs ready for photography. Mom, thanks for the first-class example!

No comments:

Post a Comment