Sunday, December 15, 2013

New Miniature Quilt Project

First draft of Homecoming mini sampler

I'm so excited about the new project I started this weekend. It's a miniature sampler that could be done as a block of the month, and the theme is Homecoming. 2014 is the year in which I hope to return to Pennsylvania, after 11 years in Colorado, so going home is very much on my mind. I might as well make a quilt of it, right?

I started with the Home Again Block:

Finished size 3" x 3"

This one is all template piecing, which I decided to do by hand in front of the TV:

Plastic templates ready to use
First I joined the A and B shapes to make the block center:


Here's the back. I trimmed seams to about 1/8", and swirled them at the center to reduce the bulk:


Now I'm working on setting in the background pieces. More soon!


4 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun! I will look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Always more McCall's samples to make, too! My next magazine project is due Feb.1. I'll be working on it over the holidays :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathy, That looks so good, I've just "discovered" templates - courtesy of Sally Collins! Her work is so impressive I thought I'd give it a go for awkward pieces like anything small - and triangles - which I'm particularly useless at making accurately.
    I look forward to seeing your progress on this one. Elaine

    ReplyDelete